Is the Bible Scientifically Accurate?
Our pastors have posted a few interesting blogs regarding why we can trust the Bible as God’s inerrant Word to us:
Here is another perspective to give additional confidence in the Bible...
It should be noted that God did not provide his Word to us as a science book but more as a history (His story) and user guide for daily living. With that said, however, the Bible should not be thought of as inaccurate or contrary to scientific revelation.
There are many passages in the Bible that coincide with scientific principles discovered hundreds and sometimes thousands of years after the Bible had proclaimed the same truths. Here are some examples:
1. The Bible says the earth is round and is suspended in space:
In various verses, the Bible says the earth is round and hangs in space. It took a long time for science to catch up and reach the same conclusions. Copernicus made the discovery in 1475. But the Bible always knew. Here are two related Bible verses that were written more than 2500 years ago, and more than 1000 years before Copernicus:
"He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth..." Isaiah 40:22
"He spreads out the northern [skies] over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing." Job 26:7
2. The Bible describes the Hydrologic Cycle:
In various passages, the Bible describes a hydrologic cycle, the process by which clouds are formed, rain is produced and ground water is replenished. Science made the same discovery in the 1600s. Popular belief until this point was that water came from huge subterranean reservoirs. Here are the related Bible verses:
"He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight." Job 26:8
"He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind." Job 36:27-28
“As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish...” Isaiah 55:10
3. The Bible states that the winds have circuits and air has weight.
Galileo discovered the same thing in the 1600’s
"The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again." Ecclesiastes 1:6-7
”When He imparted weight to the wind...” Job 28:25
4. The Bible states that the stars cannot be counted:
For centuries, scientists and astronomers thought they could count the precise number of stars in the universe. Brahe, for example, said there were 777. Kepler claimed the total was 1,005. Hipparchus said there were 1,022 stars. Ptolemy raised the number to 1,056. There are about 4,000 stars visible to the naked eye. Eventually, scientists, including the great Galileo, concluded that the stars could not be numbered, just as the Bible had claimed all along:
"I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore." Jeremiah 33:22
He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars--if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be." Genesis 15:5
5. The Bible states the existence of valleys and springs in the seas:
Only until the past few hundred years was the technology available to discover that there are deep valleys and fresh water springs in the oceans. But the Bible always knew:
"The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at the rebuke of the Lord..."
2 Samuel 22:16
"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened." Genesis 7:11
6. The Bible states that kind words and laughter are good for one's health:
In recent years, American newspapers have published various reports that laughter releases chemicals within a person's body that can contribute to one's health. And that depression and stress can weaken the immune system and contribute to various health problems. But, the Bible knew of the health virtues of laughter roughly 3000 years ago when the Bible's book of Proverbs was recorded:
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Proverbs 16:24
"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22
7. The Bible stated that stars differ from one another centuries before scientists reached the same conclusion. Today we know that the stars in the skies are very different from one another, that they are made up of differing concentrations of different elements, and that they vary in their sizes, their ages and in their proximity to the earth. But the ancient people had no way to prove this. Even so, 1 Corinthians says that the stars in the heavens did indeed differ one from another:
"The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor." 1 Corinthians 15:41
8. The Bible states that the sun is traveling from one end of the heavens to the other. Many skeptics would use the following verse to show the Bible to be false; after all, everyone knows that the earth revolves around the sun, not visa versa. However, in the 1950’s scientists discovered that the sun is indeed traveling across the universe dragging the whole solar system with it.
“It (sun) rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other...” Psalm 19:6
It should be no surprise that the God who created all the wonders around us knows what He is talking about!