WEEK OF JULY 26, 2020
A NOTE FROM PASTOR SHELTON
Hi friends. I hope your week is going well and that you have experienced the love and activity of Christ in your life in meaningful ways. I have some things I would like to share with you today.
This Sunday’s message is about confessing our sins to each other and praying for each other. Both are powerful elements of loving each other as Christ would have us love. As such, I’d like to practice them both in this note. First, a confession: I’m an emotional wreck. Pastoring during a pandemic is becoming increasingly difficult. I miss you terribly. Feelings of inadequacy and failure abound within me as we try to navigate Paseo through these turbulent times and I fear I am falling prey to the enemy’s deception more than to the truth of Christ. So second, a request for prayer: please pray for me and the elder team as we seek to lead Paseo. Pray that we would discern from the Lord what He desires of Paseo. And on a personal note, pray that I would rest in the love of Christ.
It is not easy or fun being vulnerable; but, I believe it is needed for there to be true community. I know that like me you are missing our times of gathering as a church family. I want to let you know what is on the horizon. Our current plan is to resume weekly services starting August 23 on Sunday Evenings on the front lawn. We will continue to honor and respect what those in authority ask us to do in regards to social distancing (Romans 13:1-2), but we will also not shy away from glorifying our Lord as a church family. We need one another! (And I cannot stand preaching to an empty room much longer!) Truthfully, we would like to start these services sooner (and may still) but there are some behind-the-scenes factors that are holding us back at this point. This remains a fluid situation so I ask for your patience, flexibility, support, and love.
I love you Paseo family! And I cannot wait to begin to gather in person once again. Be blessed and be loved.
GROWTH GROUPS BEGIN SOON!
I’m excited to let you know that our next Growth Group session will begin on August 9th. Our groups will continue to utilize Zoom as the primary means for meeting. I know, I know, you're tired of Zoom. Me too! But we can't give up meeting with one another. We need each other and our devotion to one another must stay strong. If you do not have a Growth Group or would like to connect with a new one, now is a perfect time. If you are already in a Growth Group, your group leader should be contacting you soon. You can sign up for a group by clicking here.
THIS WEEK AT PASEO (click each for more details)
- PASEO KIDS VBS FAMILY CAMP! - Family Camp registration is still open! There is plenty of time to join in on the fun. Family Camp is a Vacation Bible School style event designed for the whole family that meets on Paseo del Rey Church's front lawn. We have two Tuesdays left, July 28th and August 4th for your family to get in on all the excitement.
Family check-in will begin at 5:30 p.m. and all the fun will be from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. All ages are welcome, but the lessons and activities will be geared towards preschool and elementary age groups. Since we don't want parents to miss out on the fun, this is a non-drop off event. Please ensure your family brings a Bible, is wearing face masks, brings water bottles, and something to sit on. You may also bring a pop-up tent and small shade structure along with anything else you will need for being outside for about an hour. Click HERE to register your family. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
- SATURDAY MORNING MEN'S FELLOWSHIP - Saturday Morning at 7:30am in the Paseo parking lot. Bring your own seating and coffee! The guys are currently discussing readings from the book, My Utmost For His Highest, by Oswald Chambers.
- VINE LIFE SUPPORT GROUP - This support group is for the broken -- that's all of us! Anyone who has been affected by hurts, habits or addictions are welcome. Saturday Morning at 9:00am. Bring a chair and your mask as we'll meet outside.
- PASEO KIDS - Our online small groups in August will connect on Sunday, August 2nd and Sunday, August 23rd. Parents, please check your email or contact Ryan for more details, Ryan@paseodelrey.org
- PASEO STUDENTS - Sunday afternoon Zoom hangout at 2:00 p.m.
- PASEO STUDENTS - Wednesday Night Zoom hangout, 7:00 - 8:15 p.m. Paseo students is beginning a new series called #Blessed to #Blessing. We are excited to see how God would use our time to develop in our students a heart to love and serve those around them. Join me in praying this simple prayer these next few weeks: "Jesus, develop in my student a heart to love those around them like you do."
This week we will be supporting Donny's Cafe in Bonita (3901 Bonita Rd, Bonita, CA 91902). Donny is a Christian Brother who would greatly appreciate the support. Make plans on Wednesday, July 29 to swing by and pick up a coffee and a snack and LET'S LOVE LOCAL!
PROJECT HOSPITALITY UPDATE
Thank you for your continued support of Project Hospitality! We are moving forward with the project, and are excited to let you know that the drawings and specs have been completed and have been submitted to the City of Chula Vista for plan check.