WEEK OF AUGUST 2, 2020
A NOTE FROM PASTOR SHELTON
"14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another. Galatians 5:14-15
I've been thinking about these verses a lot lately. It seems everywhere we turn on the news and social media people are "biting and devouring one another," so what is the Christian's response? Truthfully, far too often we have responded by joining into the fight. But that is not our calling or the course of action modeled for us by Christ himself. No, scripture is clear. We are called to love. EVERYONE. EVEN OUR ENEMIES (Matthew 5:44). It is no small thing to say the entire law can be summed up in a sentence, but that is precisely what Paul does here. Loving our neighbor is our joyful response to Christ's love for us.
As we finish up our Summer of Love series where we have focused on the love we are to harbor and grow and share for one another as a church, we will now make a major pivot to begin focusing on sharing that love with the world around us. As part of that, I want to invite you to partake in two major initiatives we are undertaking in the coming weeks.
Growth Groups - We will be studying and reading the book Love Does by Bob Goff wherein he calls us to love our neighbors in meaningful, personal ways. The book is all about putting love into action. Please order the book now (here it is on Amazon) and join a group as we seek to apply it's motivating, simple yet powerful message. We will have a Growth Group Launch Night via Zoom on August 9th at 6:00pm. Groups will begin meeting via Zoom on the week of August 16th. If you would like to join a group please respond to this email or click here!
The Neighborhood Initiative - We have formed a Community Outreach Team of Paseo folks that have been hard at work formulating a vision to reach out to our neighborhood right around the church. Undoubtedly, there are unmet needs right here in our backyard that we as a church can step into and help meet with the love of Christ. We will be canvasing the neighborhood just south of J "street" to help identify physical and social needs. Our message is simple, "neighbors care for one another, how can we care for you!" As the needs arise, please be prepared and ready to volunteer talents, time, and resources to help love our Paseo neighbors in meaningful ways.
Family Reunion - Mark your calendars now. We plan to begin regathering for worship every Sunday evening on the front lawn at 6:00 pm starting Sunday, August 23! Mark your calendars now. Bring your own chairs and bring your own Communion Elements as we will gather together around the Lord's Table. I look forward to worshiping with everyone once again. Every person is required to wear a face mask and we will be distanced apart, but we will be together!
Take a few minutes and check out the bulletin below. We have several more announcements regarding our upcoming relaunching of church services and events. Be blessed.
THIS WEEK AT PASEO (click each for more details)
- PASEO KIDS VBS FAMILY CAMP! - Family Camp registration is still open for our last night ! There is plenty of time to join in on the fun. Family Camp is a Vacation Bible School style event designed for the whole family that meets on Paseo del Rey Church's front lawn. We have one Tuesday left, August 4th for your family to get in on all the excitement.
Family check-in will begin at 5:30 p.m. and all the fun will be from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. All ages are welcome, but the lessons and activities will be geared towards preschool and elementary age groups. Since we don't want parents to miss out on the fun, this is a non-drop off event. Please ensure your family brings a Bible, is wearing face masks, brings water bottles, and something to sit on. You may also bring a pop-up tent and small shade structure along with anything else you will need for being outside for about an hour. Click HERE to register your family. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
- SATURDAY MORNING MEN'S FELLOWSHIP - Saturday Morning at 7:30am in the Paseo parking lot. Bring your own seating and coffee! The guys are currently discussing readings from the book, My Utmost For His Highest, by Oswald Chambers.
- VINE LIFE SUPPORT GROUP - This support group is for the broken -- that's all of us! Anyone who has been affected by hurts, habits or addictions are welcome. Saturday Morning at 9:00am. Bring a chair and your mask as we'll meet outside.
- PASEO KIDS - Our online small groups in August will connect on Sunday, August 2nd and Sunday, August 23rd. Parents, please check your email or contact Ryan for more details, Ryan@paseodelrey.org
- PASEO STUDENTS - Sunday afternoon Zoom hangout at 2:00 p.m.
- PASEO STUDENTS - Wednesday Night Zoom hangout, 7:00 - 8:15 p.m. Paseo students is beginning a new series called #Blessed to #Blessing. We are excited to see how God would use our time to develop in our students a heart to love and serve those around them. Join me in praying this simple prayer these next few weeks: "Jesus, develop in my student a heart to love those around them like you do."
Any day during the week of August 2-7 we will be supporting Lani's Homemade Cookies. Leilani Robles has a Facebook business page HERE or call her to order your cookies at 619-228-6314. Always fresh, baked daily. Delivery is available $3-$10 or you can pick them up. Cash/Zelle/Venmo/Facebook Pay Here is a bit of Leilani's story:
In 2012 Leilani adopted two babies, and in that same year lost her first husband to a massive heart attack. Raising not one, but two infants was not an easy talk as a single mother. In 2016, sent by God, a wonderful man, Wailani walked into their lives and became a great dad to her children. In 2020 Leilani lost her job to Covid-19 and Wailani's business was falling back and they had to do something to survive. She started baking and selling cookies (her chocolate chip cookie recipe is her Hawaiian grandmother's recipe) on EastLake Food-to-Go. In one week she and her husband went from one dozen to 50 dozen and now bake around 20-65 a day, shipping across the U.S. "We are serving our community putting smiles on faces, one cookie at a time."
Watch for an email this Tuesday that will include her cookie menu. Make plans this week to order some cookies and LET'S LOVE LOCAL!
PROJECT HOSPITALITY UPDATE
Thank you for your continued support of Project Hospitality! We are moving forward with the project, and are excited to let you know that the drawings and specs have been completed and have been submitted to the City of Chula Vista for plan check.